Thursday, January 7, 2021

My New Year Resolutions

 

The way I respond to the approach of a new year has changed over the years. When I was a young child, it was a time to see extended family members and a time to eat and drink.

When I was a teenager, it was writing down what I wanted to achieve in the coming year, most of the time, the written intended achievements were overly ambitious and remained on paper years after years.

Now an adult, I make what I choose to call “Soft resolutions” resolutions that does not necessarily focus on just achievements but one that mostly transforms me from the person I was the previous year to a more improved person.

Now I focus on purpose, I focus on what I can do to make the world a much better place not just for myself but for others.

Anything I think of making the world a better place, one statement comes to mind: “It is only those who are crazy enough to say that they can change the world that actually does.”

My end of year resolutions is usually tailored towards actualizing self-love and extending that love to others. Self-love, because I believe in the statement that you cannot pour from an empty cup. I work on trying to be full all the time, so I can pour from myself to others when the need be.

My Resolutions are also not bound to a particular year because achieving self-love for instance is a continuous process that probably does not end till one dies.

So from the year 2021, on wards, I intend to use my words better. Words are very important to me, as a human being, I cannot do without words because most of the time, we use words to communicate but also as a journalist, my career revolves around using words and using them rightly.

I have decided to use my words followed by my actions to build up instead of tear down. I am intentionally using my words to help build my own self-esteem and the self-esteem of others.

I will use the “I Can and You Can” phrase more. I hope to use my words to build up institutions, organizations and our nation in entirety. I will choose to use my word to build Ghana into a nation that I desire to see.

Most often than not we hear some Ghanaians talk so negatively about their own country.

In 2021 and beyond, I will pursue my uniqueness, I am unique, I am fearfully and wonderfully made by God. Sometimes in growing up, we lose our uniqueness. I am going to chase my uniqueness in 2021 and beyond and be who God wants me to be.

I am inspired by the scripture in Romans 12: 2, which says do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Sometimes, we are made to believe that if we do not follow the patterns of this world then we have failed. However, as a believer in the Creator of the Universe and in Jesus Christ, I believe that it is in pursuing my uniqueness that I will be sure of purpose.

God created me and allowed me to live up to this time because there is a purpose to fulfill, in 2021, I will not allow myself to be swayed to the direction of the wind, I will look within me and find solutions because I believe that God lives within me.

In 2021 and beyond, I will not allow negativity around me. I am a positive thinker, I am optimistic and I am powerful. I have learnt to be content with who I am and who I am becoming and thus I am perfect.

I do not have to behave like another person to be accepted because I accept myself for who I am and who I am going to be.

I will use social media more and I will make good use social media platforms. Social media has become a powerful force in the world, even though people use social media for all kinds of things, I will use social media for only good causes.

Thankfully, social media allows you to choose what you want to read and what you do not, so I will not allow the negative posts and write ups to seep into my social media space. As a trained and practicing journalist, I will endeavor to contribute good content to the world.

In 2021, I will be intentional about giving out love to the world, I believe, we attract what we give out and in giving out love, I will attract love.

2 comments: